Full name: Laurence Finnegan aka Larry and Louie.

Addresses: Union Place, Sligo Town (1901); 60 and 34 Lower Glengariff Parade, Mountjoy (1911 and 1921); and 425 North Circular Road (to late 1980s).

Unit: E Coy, 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade. Rank Captain.

Born: 15 August 1897 at Union Place, Sligo Town.

Burning of Dublin Custom House 1921
OSI Maps

Parents: Laurence Finnegan, a Railway Engine Driver originally from Co. Dublin and Westmeath-born Katie née Kerrigan.

Siblings: Eight surviving brothers and sisters – John Joe, Kathleen, Michael, Margaret, William, Gerard, Mary and Patrick. Laurence was the fourth born in the family; his eldest sister Lillie had died young.

Military Service: E Coy, 2nd Battalion, Irish Volunteers/IRA. Finnegan was elected O/C of the Coy following the promotion of Tom Ennis to Battalion O/C. He was 2nd in command inside the Custom House for the Burning. Arrested and interned in Kilmainham Gaol where he was in Cell 18, Section B with Peadar O’Farrell. Laurence appears in Cyril Daly‘s autograph book.

Burning of Dublin Custom House 1921
Courtesy of Kilmainham Gaol Museum
Burning of Dublin Custom House 1921

Personal Life: Laurence never married and lived with his sister Margaret on North Circular Road until her death in 1984. They had lost both their parents within a matter of weeks in June and July 1941. One brother, Michael, had by then emigrated to Suffolk, England.

Laurence Finnegan passed away in the Sacred Heart Residence (nursing home), Sybil Hill, Raheny on 6 October 1989, a Pensioner aged 92. There were no obituaries or reference to his Old IRA service in the family deat announcement.

Burning of Dublin Custom House 1921

Laurence was the last survivor of his immediate family and was buried with his sister Margaret in Glasnevin Cemetery plot UM120.5, St Patrick’s Section. The death was registered by a cousin Colette Maguire, of 25 Woodbine Road, Raheny.

Relatives: None in contact.

Des White